Friday, April 29, 2011

New Air

A blue sky with
strips of thin cloud.
A mother and daughter
walk past discussing something
called a brownie revel.
When you might think
girls of that age would rather be rebels.
A tortoiseshell cat accepts my
greeting, smells my offered hand
and allows some chin scratching.
The footpath starts to slope up here,
so that the park at the end
of the road emerges to view
quite suddenly. Sometimes startlingly,
when rain has flooded it
and ducks find an unexpected lake.
Today is warm and soft and
at the top of the road I pause
to appreciate it.
I have not walked far but
my heart has come a long way
and I can see the horizon now.
I am back in the world
and learning to breathe.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

It was good to walk with you for a while :-)

Hamish Mack said...

Thanks Merc.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Very nice, and "brownie revel" has piqued my curiosity.

Is this like a rave for Brownie Scouts?

Or perhaps a dessert festival?
~

Dr.KennethNoisewater said...

I'm with merc. I enjoyed that walk.

Hamish mack said...

I dunno what they do Thundra, in a similar overhearng moment to the poem, that's what I heard. I'm sure they don't have wine and such

Smut Clyde said...

Well I'm glad it's stopped raining somewhere.

Jennifer said...

A visual feast.

Hazel Myers said...

Heello nice post

Site Meter